About Overland Tibet Tour
As this overland Tibet tour is the most popular one among all Tibet tours, it is also known by several names Tibet overland tour, Kathmandu to Lhasa overland tour, Tibet budget tour and Fixed departure Tibet tour and so on. It is the one and the same. It starts from Kathmandu overland and enters Tibet border overland via Kerung transit point and drives all the way to Lhasa along the scenic Tibetan landscape.
The overland Tibet tour was completely closed as a result of the massive earthquake of 25 April 2015 until Sep
tember 2017. Since then only, new transit point of Kerung got open by the Chinese Authority allowing the foreign tourists to Tibet overland and then onward only, the overland Tibet tour resumed its operation.
Interestingly, some people prefer to undertake the tour the other way round as well; i.e., fly in first and drive out later. These days, some people also prefer to include a visit to Everest base camp (EBC) in the same tour. It is also possible.
The first part of the overland Tibet tour is most interesting as it offers fascinating views of the incredible formation of the highest plateau of the world with awesomely beautiful rocks, cascades and canyons slightly hidden in the thin flying mists at the border area between Nepal and Tibet.
The second part of the overland Tibet tour offers unforgettable visit to Lhasa (the capital of Tibet), Xigatse (the second biggest city in Tibet) and Gyantse (cultural and strategic city located very near to Sikkim) that brings you so close to the Shangri-la in Tibet making you feel yourself as being a part of a rich tapestry of unique culture woven with legends, myths, rituals and festivals..
The last part the overland Tibet tour takes you over the majestic Himalayas offering you the long cherished breathtaking view of the Himalayan ranges including Mt Everest (8,848 m) by an hour long Trans-Himalayan flight on your way back from Lhasa to Kathmandu or on your way to Lhasa direct from Kathmandu by flight.
Your memories of this holiday in Tibet is enriched by the lingering impression of the most lavishly decorated huge monasteries & temples, saffron colored monks, ever smiling Tibetan people & their typical lifestyle and above all, the challenging Himalayas.
Please note that as mentioned earlier with various of names of this tour, the overland Tibet tour can also be undertaken on a group joining fixed departure tour basis. Please do write to us for details.
- Scenic drive to the high Himalaya in 6-7 hours gaining height from 1,300 m to 3,200 m.
- The first 2 days drive offers an educative tour offering unique and incredible information on the geological formation of the highest plateau of the world called Tibet about 60 million years ago.
- The continuous uphill drive itself keeps on telling you how high and why the plateau got so high.
- The amazing view of Mt Shishapagma (8,012 m) and Mt Cho Oyu (8,201 m) from Lalung La pass and Mt Everest (8,848 m) from Old Tingri on a clear day is unforgettable for your lifetime.
- The majestic Potala Palace (Dalai Lama’s winter palace), Jokhang Temple (central Buddhist Cathdral), Drepung Monastery (the biggest monastery in Tibet) are the major sightseeing spots in Lhasa.
- Your visit to Shigatse comprises a classic exposure to the Tashilhumpu Monastery belonging to Panchen Lama.
- Yamadroke Lake on the way from Gyantse to Lhasa is another never-to-miss spot. It is so picturesque that the whole lake looks like a turquoise lake.
- One of the longest rivers of Asia: Brahmaputra River, a lifeline river of the Tibetan people has to be crossed over the bridge to reach Lhasa.