Tourist Visa for Nepal
(How to Obtain Nepal Entry Visa?)
Tribhuvan International Airport at Kathmandu is the only international airport of Nepal. The Immigration Office at TIA (Tribhuvan International Airport) under the Department of Immigration has been facilitating tourists flying into Nepal by providing visa on arrival. 'On Arrival' visa procedure is very quick and simple. You can expect some queues during the peak tourist season. If you wish to skip the queues at the airport, you can also consider getting visa from the Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed abroad prior to your arrival. Choice is yours.
If you have obtained visa from the Nepalese Diplomatic Missions, then you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa issued date. Your total stay is counted starting from the day you enter into Nepal.
Visa obtained on arrival at the Entry and Exit points are 'Tourist Visa'. They bear single entry facility. The Tourist Visa 'On Arrival' is the only one entry visa to Nepal. If you are visiting Nepal for the purposes other than Tourism (sightseeing, tour, travel, mountaineering, trekking, visiting friends and families), you should still get ' Tourist Visa' to get into the country. However, you must change the category of visa as per your purpose and length of stay in Nepal from the Department of Immigration by producing required documents.
Nationals of designated countries are requested to acquire visa prior their arrival from their nearby Diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of Nepal Government.
Please follow these simple procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA), if you have not acquired Visa prior to boarding the plane.
- Fill in ' Arrival Card '
- Fill in Online ‘Tourist Visa’ form (you can fill it up prior to your arrival visiting our official website: Department of Immigration . Fill it up using kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport. If you fill it from the website, you will get submission receipt with barcode. Please get it printed and bring it along for obtaining visa. It works for fifteen days and becomes invalid then after. If so, you will have to fill it up again.
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement ( 15/30/90 Days)
- Get the receipt
While you can use different modes of payments (at visa fees collection counter), we advise you to carry some cash to be on the safe side.
On Arrival Visa Fee
15 Days – 25 USD
30 Days – 40 USD
90 Days – 100 USD
- Proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipt and your passport
- Hand in your documents to immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues visa to you upon his/her satisfaction.
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in the case of following categories of Visa applicants:
- Children below 10 years
- Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year. Afghan citizen are eligible for Gratis Visa on arrival only upon the recommendation of Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa 'On Arrival'.
- Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder (issued by MoFA /Nepalese Diplomatic Missions abroad)
- Chinese Nationals
Officials from China, Brazil, Russia and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement
Visa of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visa. Contact the Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from the Immigration Office at Pokhara, too. Non-tourist visa extension can be done only at the Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).
Source: Department of Immigration, Nepal Govt.